Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Cloth Mache

#1 2008-03-01 02:26:44

burrumgirl

Cloth Mache

Hi, I have just asked for info on another subject related to this but thought I would post it as a new topic.  I have been unable to get a copy of Dan Reeders book in Australia about cloth mache, but would like to get some idea of his technique, can anyone help me? I dont expect or want anyone to infringe on copyright laws but just want to know how it can be done. Of course I expect that cloth is layered instead of paper, but is it in strips or patches, and what type of cloth is used? Also is it left as a decorative cloth finish?  Soooo many questions.  If you can help me with this technique or have a technique of your own about cloth or other types of material used with papier mache I would be pleased to learn from you.  Thanks so much.

Last edited by burrumgirl (2008-03-01 02:31:28)

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#2 2008-03-01 16:13:04

sebrink
Website

Re: Cloth Mache

Burrumgirl,
I will send you some info by e-mail...

smile

#3 2008-03-01 18:07:35

CatPerson

Thickness is determined the same way you would make a decision about what kind of paper to use. Mid-weigh or lighter seems to work best for most projects, but I have seen some pieces where the foundation was made of burlap or hessian, with finer fabrics used on the surface.

Open-weave fabrics can be more difficult to handle, they fray worse (sometimes an asset), and they can leave more of a texture (also can be an asset), but they can flex more if that's what you need. Thin, tightly-woven fabrics act more like paper and give a smoother surface.

Fabrics from organic sources are best (cotton, wool, silk, linen, jute, etc), as they will absorb the adhesive and bond well.  Beware of polyester and other synthetics. Polyester is really a type of plastic, and can have the same effect with adhesives: not sticking, or delaminating. If you want to try using something synthetic or part synthetic, make a test first, let it dry VERY thoroughly, then pick at it to check how tightly adhered it is.

Personally, I tend to find that squares or rectangles are fine for less intricate designs, and triangles for curvier ones. Size must fit placement area, or it tends to wrinkle where the excess flares out. I find strips harder to handle. (That could be a Law of Cloth Mache, or it could be lack of manual dexterity...). ;-)

Tip:  brightly-colored silk blouses from thrift shops, cut in pieces, are wonderful decorative surface accents, for both cloth and papier mache.

Sue

#4 2008-03-02 00:31:31

burrumgirl

Thanks Kris and Sue, Sounds like something worth experimenting with, I will give it a go. I am thinking of using the cloth in place of painting and I can see how the richness of silk could be used to advantage.  I also love the way that Kris has folded the cloth to get the texture of the scales on his work.  My mind is at work, it's just getting the body going now.. thanks again

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#5 2008-03-18 12:31:04

burrumgirl

Hey Kris,  I bought Dans  great book.  Tells me all about the way he uses cloth mache.  I am very impressed. This technique works well in large works, but as I live in a small space I will adapt his method to small works.(not that this impedes the use of cloth, but small dragons won't take over my space quite as much).  I am stoked.  Thank you so much Kris and Sue for your help (and Dan).  The world is now my oyster (in my head)  Happy Easter to All.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#6 2008-03-18 15:50:39

newmodeller
Website

Now I can't wait until my copy of Dan's book arrives.  It sounds as though you have been really inspired by it.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#7 2008-03-19 16:39:42

dan reeder
Website

Hey again,
I've been busy.  Hard to find time to do anything fun lately.  About the cloth thing, I really like old bed sheets.  Honestly, the older the better (even yellow stains are fine).  The ones I treat like gold are the ones that are so worn that I can tear them with my fingers.  Those sheets I covet and use only for faces where I need detail.  I used to get these sheets at thrift stores (is that what they're called in the UK?).  But over here they have become harder to come by.  These second hand stores now seem to only sell newer sheets.  I'll bet they throw away the really old ones.  I swear I'm going to ask them sometime if that's true and have them save the really nasty ones for me.   Anyway (sorry for the tangent), I tear them into strips of varying widths first.  Fold them in half, then quarters etc, and pull off the strings.  Then cut the folds with scissors.  The nice thing about tearing is that when the pieces are applied, you can barely even see a seam.  The tearing allows the frayed ends to sit nicely.   I soak them in white glue (usually full strength) and apply.  I like to have lots of sizes ready before I start.  It's just a hassle cutting more with wet hands.   Hence to great part about sheets that you can tear with your fingers while your hands are still wet.

I hope this helps.  Keep up the art, master of more that she thinks.
Dan

#8 2008-03-20 01:10:19

burrumgirl

Hi Charlotte, Yes I have been inspired and I am sure you will love the book too.  Not only does it give clear instructions about cloth mache, but Dan's approach to papier mache is bold, and because of this he captures the spirit of the animal (dragon).  Its always great to see how other people are doing things, and to learn from them. We should have a section in this forum so people can reveal their approach to this medium.  I am sure all of us will learn heaps.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#9 2008-03-21 05:39:16

CatPerson

Dan, wherever you are, there must be a Freecycle. Post that you want old, thin bedsheets (torn okay), and I'll bet you'll get enough to cover a large house.

Sue

#10 2008-03-26 22:38:17

Jackie
Website

I can see noone having any sheets on their beds before long smile

If you want to wow your friends and make a stunning dragon like Dan's - get his handbook! http://www.monster-man.com/Dragon-maker_s_Handbook.html

Jackie

#11 2008-09-13 16:47:21

butterbee

I was just curious of the strength of cloth mache to papier-mache. Is the cloth super strong, or is there not much difference between the two?

#12 2008-09-13 22:05:01

CatPerson

I would say the cloth is stronger, but again, 'it depends'.  Fabric can be less brittle, esp if you compare it against a low grade of paper like newspaper.

I covered a balloon with what appeared to be cotton organdy (the adhesive was 50/50 white glue and water). Even when dry, it flexed quite a bit, and got dented when the cat knocked it onto the floor.

Cotton sheeting, esp if it isn't badly worn, makes a pretty sturdy project. The tighter the weave, the better, if you want strength.

Sue

#13 2008-11-12 03:27:52

skwirl

WOW!! I was just getting ready to say that I had purchased Dan's book and I could buy you a copy and send it to you, but looks like you already got it and low and behold Dan himself is here! GREAT BOOK!!! Wonderful techniques for large projects. He also gave me some ideas for my 'lizard fairy-thingy" do you remember me Dan? Still not exactly sure what I want to do with her, but you most definitely gave me some new insights! I just love soakin' me up some good information!

Last edited by skwirl (2008-11-12 03:54:52)

Board footer