Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Historical methods

#1 2012-04-24 19:32:49

Elise

Historical methods

I noticed the articles on Victorian Paper Mache and the History of Paper Mache on this website.  If I wanted to research further into the detailed history and progression of paper mache, how would I go about it?  Where might I look?

Thanks,
Elise

#2 2012-04-24 20:10:04

Jackie
Website

Re: Historical methods

Hi Elise,

I wrote the articles "Victorian papier mâché" and "History of papier mâché" to give a very basic Introduction to the subjects. The library is probably the best place to start to research in more depth. It is notoriously hard to access vintage papier mâché recipes as the companies were so secretive about their methods.

if you decide to delve further, please let us know if you find out anything really interesting. We may be able to add it to the site.

Jackie

#3 2012-04-24 22:33:07

dopapier

It's very difficult to find this material.  Two books I have are "Papier-mâché in Great Britain and America" by Jane Toller; and English Papier Mâché of the Georgian and victorian Periods" by Shirley Spaulding DeVoe.  If you are really serious and have access to the British Library, it would be a good place for research.

You could also follow the link given by Mavigogun in his theme 'Research . . . .' just below this in the Forum.

I'm a PM addict

#4 2014-11-04 06:34:25

maverick12555

Did you have any luck with your research? I have just started looking into European historical papier mache and would love to know what you found?

- Jeff
aka maverick12555

Board footer