Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

creating a body form

#1 2001-09-20 00:23:16

creating a body form

My son has to create a scarecrow for an art enrichment project at his school.  He wants to create a Peter Pan type figure that will "scare off" growing up.  What is the easiest way to create a body form for amatures.  Also, this has to be sturdy as it will be hanging from a tree outside.  We would appeciate any help we could receive on this topic.  Thanks!!

#2 2001-10-05 03:28:12

Re: creating a body form

Hello.The first step to making a body form is deciding how big it's going to be as compared to a child or adult, then find things to mold onto. For example, a regular size rubber ball out of the bin at toys r us. Use to ball for the mid section. Wrap some plastic wrap around the ball so it's easy to get the paper mache off and apply strips to the center of the ball( not the whole thing!) You can also go to walmart or any craft store and get the big paper boards that the kids use in science fairs and bend it to desired shape, tape it and paper mache it. For arms, tape paper towel rolls together and mache them. Head, use a balloon. Feet, wrap plastic wrap around an old shoe, mache it. Toget all this off when dried. Use an exacto knife to cut a thin line at bottom of foot all the way across the top, yes, it will split in two, but mache the two pieces back together, use a pin to pop balloon, connect all body pieces and paint. I'm limited on time, but you have my email adress, so if you need to get more specific on a body part and how to do it, just write. :0)

#3 2002-01-28 18:01:24

Re: creating a body form

Jumping in to add to this
To help "weather proof" the finished project and to make it tougher and more duarable for outside
generously coat the project with Boiled Linseed Oil, let dry overnight, repeat addind enough coats until the Paper Mache will not absorb and more linseed oil, Allow the project to "cure" for a week, then paint in desired paints and varinish the project
Hoping this helps
Terry

Board footer