Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

casting

#1 2010-03-09 12:53:08

cherrypot

casting

Hello All, Hope some one can help
Problem
A friends child has made a paper mache figure ( smallish) which everyone is so delighted with that they want to cast it in resin or some more permanent material any ideas please?

#2 2010-03-10 03:36:50

CatPerson

Re: casting

I don't know anything at all about resin casting except that you need to make a latex rubber or silicone mold, and then fill it with the two-part casting resin material.

Here is a brief description of the process from Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resin_casting

If that looks a little too complicated, perhaps you can advertise in your local paper and get a local hobbyist to make a few for you.  The materials are more expensive than for papier mache, that I can tell you!

Good luck in your search!

Sue

#3 2010-03-10 22:54:04

cherrypot

Many thanks for your help, and the link which I will pass on to my friend.
Kind regards
Liz

#4 2010-03-10 23:08:37

newmodeller
Website

I have friends who use latex to make molds for resin casting, you will need to be very careful as it is highly toxic and you need to know what you are doing with it to be successful.  It would make sense to find someone to help.  Where are you? if you are in the states then get in touch with Puppetsandstuff.com, Sean, who runs the site may be able to put you in touch with a puppet maker in your area who could help.
Alternatively contact a local theatre as they will have details of people who make casts for stage and props.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

Board footer