Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Papier mache paste

#1 2009-11-06 10:28:10

payal

Papier mache paste

Hi All,
till now I've always used PVA and water mixture for my works......but this time I thought of some cost cutting so I switched to cooked flour paste.
The problem now is very funny............I've done only one layer which seems to under some spell ...........it becomes perfectly dry on sunny days and quite wet on cloudy days.Its been more than a week since I've finished this layer.

I live in Singapore and the weather here is very very humid and it rains every now and then.............!
Any suggestions on what can be done. Should I stick to PVA mixture and give up on flour paste.

Thanks
Payal

#2 2009-11-06 21:21:34

dopapier

Re: Papier mache paste

I would definitely NOT use flour.  See my article on 'What Paste to Use'.  The flour paste will DRINK in any moisture in humidity and ruin your pieces.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#3 2009-11-06 21:27:40

CatPerson

Most flour-type adhesives (wheat, rice, potato) are all hygroscopic, meaning that they absorb water well.  Unfortunately, even if they dry out well, when subjected to moisture in the air, they get damp again.  In your climate, they would all end up getting moldy.

One organic material that Jackie says doesn't do that is the cellulose adhesive called methylcellulose.  One fairly common form of it is cellulose wallpaper paste.  You can get it wet initially, but then when it dries, it doesn't re-absorb moisture.

Quick note:  there are three general types of wallpaper pastes:  flour, cellulose and vinyl.  Make sure you get the cellulose type, it should say on the container.  It should mix clear, not milky like the flour pastes.

Make the mix fairly thin, about the consistency of raw egg whites.  Put some water in a container and sprinkle some of the cellulose adhesive onto the water and mix in.  Some mix well, others seem to clump so leave overnight to absorb water, stirring occasionally.  Only mix the amount you think you'll need, as it doesn't keep well (it loses it adhesiveness).

Vary the amount of dry cellulose to water to get the affect that is best for your purposes.

Sue

#4 2009-11-07 05:50:51

payal

thanks.....you guys are amazing, you seem to have all the answers for all queries in this forum.

thanks again
Payal

Board footer