Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Ventriloquist dummy head

#1 2009-08-04 10:15:44

steve
Website

Ventriloquist dummy head

Hi

I am remaking my ventriloquist head after twenty five years, I made the old one out of Papier Mache and kept my molds.
When I made the first one I made it from sugar paper which gave a great result, but I have forgotton the first bit of the process were you need to get rid of the glues and resins etc already in the sugar paper! Does any body know how to do this, I got the recipe from and old craft book and lost my photo copys.

Many thanks,

Steve

#2 2009-08-04 18:11:12

CatPerson

Re: Ventriloquist dummy head

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I had to look up 'sugar paper', because I'd never heard of it before.  I found that it is called 'construction paper' here in the U.S.

From what I read at Wikipedia, it is just regular paper of a coarse texture, usually dyed with color.  I don't see that there are any glues or resins included in its manufacture, but I'm sure you would want to soak out any color, or just use white paper.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_paper

Beyond this, just follow your instructions.  Just be sure to soak it well to make it as flexible as possible if you are using sheets.

Sue

#3 2009-08-04 19:25:40

newmodeller
Website

Sue, you are right that UK sugar paper is very similar to US construction paper, however the paper sold here in the UK is slightly different.  From what I can remember there is a binding agent added to the pulp the paper is made from to stiffen it up whilst remaining relatively thin.  I have been advised by several art teachers over the years not to use it for making pulp with.

Steve, if I were you I would use one of the other acid free, craft papers for your head. David O may be of more help if you want to continue with sugar paper.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#4 2009-08-05 14:02:21

steve
Website

CatPerson wrote:

Hello, and welcome to the forum!

I had to look up 'sugar paper', because I'd never heard of it before.  I found that it is called 'construction paper' here in the U.S.

From what I read at Wikipedia, it is just regular paper of a coarse texture, usually dyed with color.  I don't see that there are any glues or resins included in its manufacture, but I'm sure you would want to soak out any color, or just use white paper.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construction_paper

Beyond this, just follow your instructions.  Just be sure to soak it well to make it as flexible as possible if you are using sheets.

Sue

#5 2009-08-05 14:03:25

steve
Website

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your help on this I'll take this on board.

Steve

#6 2009-08-06 18:40:05

CatPerson

Steve, I was considering your problem, and it finally occurred to me that possibly a better material might be one of the acid-free handmade papers that you can buy by the single sheet.  They come in many thicknesses, some heavier than you would probably want.  The ones you would want would be chemically-stable 100% cotton, which would be archival quality, instead of the wood-based sugar paper.

Using one of these papers would save you the time and effort of leaching some unknown material out of the sugar paper, but the texture and weight would be similar.  Most art supply shops (esp ones that cater to watercolorists) should have them.

I hope you find what is perfect for your uses.

Sue

#7 2009-08-07 09:43:55

dopapier

25 years?   Well, it is some time ago now.   Your dummy must have worn well.   Congratulations on keeping your molds.
I haven't heard of sugar paper for a long time, but it used to be in regular use in schools.   If it goes soppy when soaked, then you don't really need to worry about removing resins and glues.
If you want to make a strong model, free from acid and therefore less likely to stain, then Sue's point about archival paper is best.
Alternatively, you can accept that you will be painting over with strong paints, e.g. acrylic, and then the paper content is not so critical.  Brown kraft paper (paper envelopes etc.) alternating with bond (office) paper makes an extremely strong laminate as long as you get your paste right and don't let the paper get too wet.  Is it a precise mold, or can you manage a layer of kitchen foil before pressing in your paper?   Presumably you coped with the problem of release from the mold when you first did it.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#8 2009-08-08 09:52:47

steve
Website

Hi David,

Thanks for your post - Yes twenty five years ago I cast the mold from a clay modle I made, unfortunatly I dont think it could stand a layer of foil. The reason is, it needs to be a smooth finish. It has to be light but strong enough to take the "workings".
I am in show business and through a bit of research found out about this method of building a dummys head via books etc. The guy who was a real artist with this method was Len Insull from Wolverhampton UK who made "Archie Andrews" "Lord Charles" etc he out lived his son ( Len Insull Jnr) who was also a very well skilled crafts man alas their recipies died with them.
When I made my Dummy head from suger paper the result was brilliant, but I've since tried in vain to get the same result. I aim to cast one from your method soon and I'll let you know the result!
Thanks again,

Steve

I'd be greatfull of any other recipes before I go to cast again!

#9 2009-08-26 20:01:44

Wyohming
Website

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum but just thought I'd post a quick reply. Hope its ok to say this but there is another forum you might be interested. I'm sure its fine to be on both and anyone else interested is welcome there!
Its www.puppethub.com
You'll find a wealth of information from professional puppeteers and puppet makers, I'm sure someone will have some really good tips on the sugar paper.. and wow Archie Andrews. I feel old now!

Wyoh

www.mermibridg.com (soon to go live selling Liquache, Celluclay, Antron Fleece and all kinds of goodies!)

Board footer