Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

White Glue

#1 2009-08-08 14:49:23

hardlec

White Glue

Has anyone worked with White glue or PVA glue instead of flour paste?  I live in an area where the mold is fierce and I want to avoid the flour paste.

#2 2009-08-08 15:43:38

zyggy
Website

Re: White Glue

Hi Hardlec,
My own experience with PVA is mixed.
Whilst you do end up with a really tough piece once it has dried, and something that's a whole lot more water resistant, it won't cure your mould problem. I've got a pot of the stuff on my shelf, and every time I open it up to use some, there's a layer of mould coating the surface that has to be scooped away. That said, once I've mixed the clean PVA into a pulp with the paper, I haven't had any mould forming during the sculpting or drying.
Sue (Catperson) has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of these things, and will no doubt be able to advise you better than I, so over to you, Sue!

(Loved your comment about fierce mold - do you work on a mushroom farm, or something? I've got this bizarre image in my head of some kind of fungus monster hammering away at your door!)

Best of luck

Zyggy smile

I'm giving up procrastinating tomorrow.

#3 2009-08-08 18:39:22

Pelletor
Website

Hi hardlec,

I'm a newbie here too but have been reading extensively about PM.

My interest is in making some “Yard Art" in the form of a toad stool I saw many years ago while trail climbing in New England (North East USA).  Yard Art needs to be water and critter resistant too ( never heard  PVA can mold as zyggy mentioned but I have never stored it, only used what I mixed) and I live in the South so I choose PVA. 

Looks like methyl cellulose adhesive (Elmer's Art Paste)  would be an option too but it appears to be difficult to find locally.   It would be less expensive because I can get a gallon of PVA for a bit under $10 ( USAD) and Elmer's Art Paste is a bit less than 3$ (USAD) for 2 oz of powder that makes a gallon even though the PVA is diluted 2:1 typically.

In an attempt to make a more weather resistant mixture I use PVA diluted 2:1 as “usual" but I read using Acrylic paint in the mix helps with the weather resistance.

My experience thus far:
My 1st attempt at mixing PVA, water and Acrylic paint.

5 Parts PVA  ( Elmer's glue)
3 Parts water
2 Parts Acrylic Paint

So not exactly 2:1  which would have been
4 Parts PVA  ( Elmer's glue)
1 Part water
1 Part Acrylic Paint

This (not exactly 2:1  ratio)  mixed well and was used to paint the inside of the Toad stool top ( no stem yet) made of cardboard and masking tape.   A day later I mixed up more and used it to make my 1st layer of Papier Mache. It was an experiment on an egg shape made of newspaper and masking tape. It dried overnight and seemed to work well. 

I then tried the “real and proper"  2:1 ratio on another newsprint and masking tape object the shape of a toad stool but a more “organic"  ( less precise) shape than the cardboard and masking tape toad stool I'm saving until I have more experience.

The white Acrylic paint ( I used white but should have used a different color because PVA is white too) is very thick ( maybe like yogurt)  and this 2:1 mix coated and stuck to everything!  I did about 2-3 layers of hand torn newspaper strips. It worked OK but it has taken twice as long to dry at least.

It seems this ratio is best for me:
5 Parts PVA  ( Elmer's glue)
3 Parts water
2 Parts Acrylic Paint

That is, so far, my limited experience.

Zyggy, however, said it best, Sue (Catperson) has amazing knowledge of these things and her knowledge seems to be exceeded only by her kindness and willingness to share it.

I wonder if she has any wisdom with respect to “papercrete" ?

Bob C.

#4 2009-08-08 19:11:13

hardlec

I have to get a new shower curtain every 6 months, even with cleaning.

I can't leave a book on my porch overnight.

Fierce.

Acrylic paint is also an adhesive.  Have you tried 50% water-to-paint?

I make plaster for projects with:

10% paint (apple barrel)
10% future floor wax
80% water

my plaster is much more durable mixed with this not water.

#5 2009-08-08 22:27:55

CatPerson

Hardlec, where do you live that you have such a humidity problem, southern U.S.?

I've never had a problem with white PVA glue molding, but even though we have humidity here, we don't have much heat AND humidity like some areas, which could be the difference.

I've never known dry PVA glue to mold, but again, the places I've lived were either hot/dry or cool/moist.  The hot/moist is the killer.  With your conditions, I wouldn't use any food-based adhesive (wheat flour, potato flour, or rice flour), and would limit use to PVA or methyl cellulose (MC or CMC) (it's organic, but so highly processed that it 'shouldn't' mold).

I know David mixes MC with PVA, but I don't.  To find where you stand with the mild issue, I would try both (if you can find MC) separately and expose it to the moisture and see what happens.  It could be that PVA may be your only choice.

The difference between the two is that PVA is a plastic-based adhesive and the MC is highly-refined wood fiber adhesive. 

Jackie has done some research on waterproofing outdoor pieces, so you might want to read her article:  http://www.papiermache.co.uk/articles/w … ier-mache/

Just be sure you cover every single crack and pinhole, or moisture will creep in and destroy your work.

Please let us know if you run into any problems, so the rest of us can learn from your mistakes!  ;-)

Sue

#6 2009-08-08 23:11:57

Pelletor
Website

Hardlec,

I don't want to high jack your topic so if this is out of line would a moderator please tell me or move it to a new topic.

The Acrylic Paint I used is generic brand made for Michaels Craft Stores called “Craft Smart"  and I had  no idea  “Acrylic paint is also an adhesive."

Are you saying I should dilute the Acrylic paint by 50% with water and then use that as the “water"  in the 2:1 ratio (2 parts PVA to 1 part water)?

Your mixture for plaster ( Plaster of Paris?) is intriguing. Do you use paper or cloth strips or use it like pulp and put it directly on an armature?

I was planning on finishing my toad stool with a marine varnish, if it comes out as planned. Do you use a finish on your plaster projects? Is that what you mean by “durable"  or just more resistant to general handling?

I have also read people use PVA mixed with Portland cement for the glue to make a very weather resistant outdoor papier mache project.  Sounds a bit nasty to handle but effective.

Bob C.

Last edited by Pelletor (2009-08-08 23:13:59)

#7 2009-08-09 02:06:23

hardlec

I pour plaster of Paris into molds to make a variety of things.  I have on occasion used it to soak gauze, but it is hard to find pure cotton gauze any more.

I live is west central Florida, USA.  For the last month the temperature and humidity have both averaged over 80.  (80% humidity, temperature 80 degrees fahrenheit.) The mold is ready to become its own political party.

My project is to make an airship model over an armature of 3-liter soda bottles.  I want to make the covering very tough, as I plan to take it to events and use it as a game piece with model airplanes.  {I have a lot of projects in mind for paper mache, as the price of Styrofoam is prohibitive and the availability is diminishing. Also:  I have never liked working with foam.}

Acrylic paint is an adhesive.  I have had many projects nearly ruined by paint "gluing" pieces together.  I have had 3-4 layers of newspaper "soaked" with paint and become hard.
I can go to my local DIY store and get "OOPS" paint rather cheap.  It will have anti-mold agents built in.  I have access to lots of paper, newspaper, roll ends from paper towels, and such.  But I'd rather learn from other peoples mistakes.

Right now 50-50 white glue and water looks like a good option.  I will airbrush on the final coats of paint.  However 50-50 water and paint would work fine too.

#8 2009-08-09 14:50:36

paper soup

I feel your pain with the humidty. Our heat index (temp + humidity) has been around 110 all week. It's 87% this morning, you almost need a scuba tank to go outside LOL. For that reason I have never even attempted flour; was afraid to ... between the humidity and the Texas size Palmetta bugs, I've always been afraid that anything remotely edible would either come alive with mold or be be carried off for some sort of Buggy Bar-B-Que. yikes
I've never had a problem with any of the other glues though. I've used white glue, wood glue, starch and wallpaper paste with no problems. Using diluted paint sounds interesting though, I love going through the "oops" bin myself smile
I'm wondering if you used exterior paint as your adhesive, would that help with the overall weatherproofing? Hmmm...

Last edited by jojoringer (2009-08-09 14:56:51)

#9 2009-08-09 23:22:22

CatPerson

Just keep in mind that acrylic/PVA materials tend to be more 'water-resistant' than actually waterPROOF.  PVA glue is not waterproof by any means.  Coat something with it, let it dry thoroughly, then drop it into a container of water.  Turning white is the sign of moisture absorption.

Here in the U.S. PNW, outdoor acrylic or latex paint will still mold.

Sue

#10 2009-08-10 16:12:07

Patraw
Website

I use white glue almost exclusively in my work (I also use a bit of crazy glue or hot glue for special purposes or when I need a really strong bond).  I use Elmer's School Glue brand (buy it in bulk at back to school sales, like right now) and I don't dilute it at all with water or anything else--I use it as is out of the bottle.  I only coat one side of my paper strips, and sparingly at that, I don't dip them.

I tried flour/water when I was younger, but never particularly liked it, nor do I like the mess/sogginess/drying time associated with dipping strips in a watery solution.  Those are just my personal feelings, I know a lot of PM artists who would disagree.  Experiment and use whatever works best or feels right for you.

Last edited by Patraw (2009-08-10 16:14:57)

#11 2009-08-16 14:42:35

hardlec

I think I will try the OOPS bin at my local DIY stores a few times and see what they have.

There are some paints specifically designed for mold resistance, such as KILZ(r) and I can add some chemicals to the mix if I need to.

I will post progress notes when I have some progress to note.

Board footer