Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

New here, and to papier mache

#1 2009-06-10 01:59:30

DragonLady

New here, and to papier mache

Hello, everyone! smile

I'm just introducing myself.  I'm a dabbler in a bunch of different things -watercolor painting, sewing, gardening...you name it, and I'll make a(nother) hobby of it.

I've always been a bit fascinated with paper, and have always believed that more could be done with it than newspapers and drawing surfaces.  I remember learning to do the paper-strips on a balloon thing when I was in school, but otherwise never knew much about papier mache or how it was done.

A few years ago I found myself without the internet for awhile, and after the withdrawel symptoms subsided I spent a few afternoons experiementing with newspaper pulp.  I made the world's crudest bowl...but it reignited my interest in the whole subject.  I recently threw it away just because I have a terrible tendance to collect clutter.  But now I've found this place I wish I'd at least taken a picture so maybe I could get some critiques and ideas. smile

Anyway...I'll probably just lurk for awhile.  I'm mostly interested in the artistic side of things, but also believe papier mache should be brought back in the spotlight for furniture and such. Cheap, renewable, strong...all good qualities.  And especially when the economy tanks the way it has.

Again, so happy to have found this place, and hope to spend a few afternoons reading everything. smile

edited for speeling

Last edited by DragonLady (2009-06-10 02:00:32)

#2 2009-06-10 17:19:01

zyggy
Website

Re: New here, and to papier mache

Hi Dragonlady,
Even though I'm a newcomer myself, let me be the first to welcome you aboard the ship smile

Zyggy

I'm giving up procrastinating tomorrow.

#3 2009-06-13 05:03:08

DragonLady

Thanks for the welcome, Zyggy.  Einstein looks great. smile

#4 2009-06-21 07:47:07

CatPerson

Just remember that not too much with papier mache is engraved in stone.  It's cheap enough to burn or toss into the trash, or reform into something else.  It's not like concrete, where you have to dig a hole to bury the bad decisions in, or pay dump fees!

You'll learn more by actually doing it than all the reading in the world.  Consider your first works experiments.  If they don't work, you've still learned something from it.  Try to avoid that need for instant, absolute perfection -- it just cripples your design instincts.  The world will not stop turning if a project doesn't turn out right.

And welcome to the boards!  Have fun!

Sue

Board footer