Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Hot glue - what is it?

#1 2009-03-13 09:46:02

ecbazin

Hot glue - what is it?

I am in the process of making a easter rabbit using instructions from our local supermarket newsletter here in Switzerland.   The legs and arms of the rabbit are constructed out of card wrapped with  a couple of layers of papier mache and it says when dry to glue them to the rabbit body with "hot glue" - or at least in german it says "heiss leim".  what is this? Is there anything else I can use as a substitute? I suspect that using heiss leim will mean I have to buy some expensive piece of glue heating equipment??

thanks

#2 2009-03-13 14:23:06

Patraw
Website

Re: Hot glue - what is it?

Hot glue is an adhesive that is solid at room temperature but liquid when heated.  It usually comes in sticks which you put in a hot glue gun.  The hot glue gun runs on electricity.  The sticks usually run around $3-4 (US dollars) for a bag of 100 and glue guns usually cost around $5-10 and often come with some glue sticks.    I don't consider that terribly expensive, but your opinion may vary.  If you're planning on doing a lot of art projects, a hot glue gun is a good investment; you can also use it for various small home repairs as well.

There are certainly other ways you could attach the limbs of your rabbit, but hot glue probably is the fastest and easiest.  I'd advise applying some strips on top of the hot glue for added strength.  If you don't want to use hot glue, just use regular white glue--you'll have to set up your project in such a way that it won't be moved until the glue sets, which will probably take several hours at least.  I'd probably glue one limb at at time, propping things up with some kind of support to keep the limb in place until the glue sets and hardens.

#3 2009-03-14 02:30:23

CatPerson

Here is a photo and explanation from Wikipedia:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glue_gun

Stores that sell craft materials have them, and so do hardware stores.  Some take the thicker sticks (~10mm dia.) -- these are hot melt.  There are also smaller sticks about 5mm in diameter, which are cool melt.  There used to be one that took oval sticks that were cooler melt, but I haven't seen them sold in several years.  If you find a used one, I believe they will accept the small sticks.

Sue

Sue

#4 2009-03-17 16:11:49

dopapier

A hot glue gun is really useful, for all sorts of things - and not at all expensive.  A problem is that it hardens really quickly so you have to work really fast.
To join cardboard, I trail some PVA along the edge, leaving three or four small gaps.  I put a dab of hot glue in each space, press the pieces together.   The hot glue fixes them in place really quickly, leaving the PVA to slowly set and make the joint really solid.
Incidentally, I would glue the cardboard before doing any paper layering.  The edges of the cardboard can be sanded or even cut to make the whole thing smoother before laminating.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#5 2009-05-25 06:04:39

lovely09

If that's what i think,i guess it is something we have here.My aunt worked in a company before who made decorations and she is using glue stick and glue gun.

Board footer