Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

New kid on the block

#1 2009-05-21 17:43:12

zyggy
Website

New kid on the block

Hello one and all, I've just become a member of this forum, so I thought I'd better introduce myself and show you an example of the kind of stuff I do. My name is Zyggy, I live in the UK, and mostly I sculpt female figures.
There's quite a bit of talent on display here (and I'm only about half way through exploring the galleries), so I'm pleased to be part of this creative community.

I've read quite a few posts here where people are striving for a smooth papier mache finish, but I have to admit I personally embrace the texture and quality of rough pm. I love it's sculptural quality, and find that you can achieve a great finish simply by painting black and drybrushing with a metallic paint.
Below is a piece I did about a year ago, she stands about 18 inches tall, and appart from an aluminium wire armature, is made entirely from papier mache.
Let me know what you think...

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/3013/medusacuuo1.jpg

As soon as my gallery is up and running, I'll stick a few more pieces in there.

Take care

Zyggy

Last edited by zyggy (2009-05-25 00:12:21)

I'm giving up procrastinating tomorrow.

#2 2009-05-21 17:59:46

Jackie
Website

Re: New kid on the block

Welcome to the forum Zyggy.

Your sculpture is lovely. There is beauty in all finishes of papier mache in my opinion. This finish suits your sculpture very well. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the galleries.

Jackie

#3 2009-05-21 18:27:47

CatPerson

A very nice piece, Zyggy!

An artist's vision of his creation would seem to determine the materials and finish used.

The hair on your sculpture is extremely attractive.  May I ask how you achieved it?

Sue

#4 2009-05-21 18:34:00

dopapier

I agree with you about the sense of sculpture.  It is very strong and admirable that apart from the armature, it is all paper.  I look forward to seeing more of your work.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#5 2009-05-21 19:54:37

zyggy
Website

Jackie, Sue, David, thanks for the responses. You know how to give a warm welcome!

Sue - I make my pulp by smashing up shredded newspaper and paste in a bucket with a pummeling stick (old school, I know, but I get a great workout doing it!)
At the end, there's still long shreds of gluey paper at the bottom of the bucket that hasn't got fully mixed up - they're what were used to make the hair. Here's a closer shot of the head so you can see it in (hopefully) better detail:
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4415/medusaheadcu.jpg
(had to slightly overexpose the pic so you could see the hair)

Thanks again for the feedback, folks smile

See you all soon

Zyggy

Last edited by zyggy (2009-05-21 22:48:30)

I'm giving up procrastinating tomorrow.

#6 2009-05-25 05:40:48

lovely09

This is really amazing.From head to toe and the shape is very awesome.Congratulations for this wonderful artwork.

Board footer