Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Mixing paper mache pulp with plaster?

Mixing paper mache pulp with plaster?

#1 2009-03-16 15:21:41

butterbee

Mixing paper mache pulp with plaster?

I usually finish pieces by putting a layer of spackle on them, and I am currently out of spackle but I do have box of plaster of paris kicking around.

I was thinking about for the finally couple layers of my papier-mache pulp project using a layer of plaster and homemade pulp so it could be lightly sanded. I figured I'd check in with you guys to see if this is a horribly bad idea before I try it. (*laughs*)

#2 2009-03-16 22:30:33

newmodeller
Website

Re: Mixing paper mache pulp with plaster?

I have used Plaster of Paris fairly successfully.  the main thing to remember is that the addition of water to P of P starts the chemical reaction that causes it to harden.  As a result you have to work fast before the pulp becomes unusable. 
However if used with tissue/toilet paper types you get the most fantastic porcelain hard finish that sands well.  I tend to add no more that a heaped tablespoon full as a filler to about two good handfuls of paper pulp and paste mix.  I beat the whole thing well with a fork and mash it up then use at speed.  I use clay modelling tools for fine detailing.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#3 2009-03-17 00:38:19

butterbee

Thanks so much for the awesome advice newmodeller! I can't wait to try it out. <3

#4 2009-03-17 06:03:59

CatPerson

If you're applying the plaster just on the surface instead of mixing it with the paper, apply it with a flat brush as quickly as you can so it can smooth out by itself.  Several thin layers may produce a smoother surface than a single heavier layer.

Sue

#5 2009-03-22 15:38:49

butterbee

newmodeller: Hurray, it totally worked! I could totally tell the difference when I was sanding the pulp and that was just with my regular waste pulp and not tissue or toilet paper at all. It was 100% better.

CatPerson: I'll totally have to try your idea of a couple thin layer of plaster on top for a smoother look. I know that pulp will never become porcelain smooth, but I'd sure like to get rid of some of the more obvious surface holds and it seems as if it might do the trick!

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Mixing paper mache pulp with plaster?

Board footer