Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

PapierMache my body

#1 2008-11-12 18:26:11

Deap

PapierMache my body

Hi guys, I just signed up to see if its possible to PapierMache my full body.

I understand drying time would be a problem but I have an art project on the go and need to try to replicate my body in PapierMache, the only other way I know is to do it in plaster then papier mache the insode of the mould,

Would it be able to be done if I can use a hair dryer?

Thanks and I understand that this is a very strange question.

#2 2008-11-12 18:50:30

CatPerson

Re: PapierMache my body

I can't see that doing it that way would really be possible. It just takes too long for the PM to dry. I had a torso wrap of plaster bandage material once, and I INSISTED that my friend cut it off me IMMEDIATELY.  I didn't think I was that claustrophobic, but I guess I was wrong.

There is another way.  Get a bunch of 2" wide packaging tape. Doing one part of your body at a time (such as an arm), wrap the tape around your arm WITH THE STICKY SIDE OUTWARD in an overlapped spiral.  Then repeat with the sticky side DOWN in a reverse spiral (for strength). Carefully slit the form, remove the body part, and re-tape the seam closed.

Use the taped body part(s) as a form to attach the PM to, or just use it as a mold.

More info here:  http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/l … igures.htm

And nice photos here: http://onski.blogspot.com/2007/05/sticky-tape-art.html

Sue

#3 2008-12-09 22:45:03

Jacaranda

Hi, I have been thinking about this too. I made paper-mache lasts of my feet. Obviously it is important to wrap in plastic first. I found on a warm day outside in the sun is best but ended up using a hairdryer as well. I waited for the paper-mache to dry to the point where I could gently remove it, then I kept reinforcing the shape from the inside. I think for whole body shape and to avoid claustrophobia, it would be best to work in halves, in other words do front first, then get a friend to do the back. Later when the shapes are dry and strong, you can join them together. I wanted to use my shapes to design shoes and clothes. What is your project?

#4 2008-12-11 02:14:51

Sylvia

Hello all.  New here.  My first comment.  I read that it is very dangerous to plaster your entire body.  I am using an old mannequin as a form for my recent mache project and I thought it was working beautifully until days later.  The strips of paper I used are all wrinkly now and sanding will not smooth these wiggles.  Perhaps someone knows what I am doing wrong.  This angelic flying figure will be hung from the ceiling so it must be light weight, fairly smooth, and strong.  Is there an ideal paste recipe that has all of these attributes and dries quickly and hard so the paper won't have time or room to warp?  Thank you for this great forum.

#5 2008-12-11 19:46:45

CatPerson

What kind of paper did you use?  Strips or pulp?  What kind of adhesive?

Fact of life:  papier mache kind of stretches when it's wet, and contracts when it dries.

You might try two techniques.

Try using a 'harder' paper, a hot-pressed paper like copier paper or kraft paper.  Try to avoid machine- or scissor-cut edges, tear your edges.  Cut edges just don't want to stay down.

Don't soak the paper. Try just brushing your adhesive onto the paper strips and applying, smoothing firmly as you go.  And don't use pieces that are too large.  Large pieces are fine for flat and basically flat surfaces, but they will wrinkle on curves, so you'll have to make them smaller.

When you're sanding, be sure to use a block of wood under the sandpaper, as just fingers and sandpaper won't do it.

If your wrinkles are small, you may find it easier to build up the surface a bit with gesso or a high-quality paint primer. Apply multiple thin coats, letting dry between each.

When David is working with paper pulp, he lets it dry partially, and then burnishes it with the back of a spoon.  I have never tried it, but I wonder if it would help with the wrinkle problem on strip work, too?

Yes, using liquid plaster on body parts can cause severe burns that require multiple skin grafts.  Don't do it!  Bandaging plaster (as for casts) is much safer if used correctly.

Sue

#6 2008-12-11 20:44:48

ricky patassini

If I wanted to make a copy of myself I would use latex for moulds which can be PM
for more info try http://www.monstermakers.com/product/de … g-kit.html regards ricky

#7 2016-11-18 19:28:02

CatPerson

It's been a long time since I posted on this thread -- EIGHT YEARS!

But this exact thread came up yesterday when I was in a grocery store, of all places.  This website, this thread.  What are the odds of that happening???

Anyway, two women were talking in one of the aisles, and as I passed, I heard the words 'papier mache'. Naturally, I slowed down to eavesdrop and pretended to be looking at the things on the shelves.

One of them was telling about finding this thread about using the packaging tape to make two arms (I didn't interrupt to ask why -- I can restrain myself to a certain point).

She said she applied the first layer of tape as explained above, wrapping it with the sticky side outward.  But when it came to the next layer, it was brilliant! She used strips of an old bedsheet, and stuck that to the sticky side of the tape. And then she painted the fabric with several coatings of plain acrylic paint. 

Apparently, she had just done it, and was waiting for the paint to dry. Then she was going to PM it, using the tape/fabric/paint as a mold.

I had never thought of doing something like that. I wonder if the acrylic paint would have any negative effect on the tape adhesive, causing the damp fabric to pull loose from the tape?

If it works, it would be a fairly simple way to make molds for at least a few castings of papier mache.

I just thought that I would pass this idea along, in case it might solve someone's need for a cheap, fairly quick mold.

I wish I had asked her what she was doing with the arms. Now, I will probably wonder about it for the next thirty years.....

Sue

#8 2016-11-19 12:11:01

Jackie
Website

How interesting Sue.....like you, my ears always prick up like antennae when I hear the words "Papier Mache", but haven't come across anyone actually discussing topics on this site (though I did notice recently a school just yards from my home had this site mentioned on their school page!)

Maybe those people you overheard will pop into this forum later?.....you never know!

Jackie

Board footer