Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

outdoor papier-mache

#1 2001-07-17 14:22:27

outdoor papier-mache

Hi:
    Does anyone know how papier-mache can be made resistant to weather...rain, freezing snow etc?
                     Thanks   Violet

#2 2001-07-20 14:22:02

Re: outdoor papier-mache

Hi Violet,

Maybe I've got the answer for you!!!
In the Netherlands is a new product on the market that's called PRETEX. It's a kind of varnish specially for outdoor sculptures.

try it and let me know if you can get it.

try www.pretex.com or www.pretex.nl

by the way you can help me also and check the forum and look at project papercastle

best regards Andre

#3 2001-07-24 14:06:53

hi Violet,

I have asked but the pretex is only available in the Netherlands and Belgium, but now you can order PRETEX by me if you want.

You can paint it, mix it trough pulp en it becomes waterresistant,
it protect against snow.
It doen't break and you can mix it with water.

1/2 liter cost 15 EURO and shipping cost.

order at papiermachee@hotmail.com

best regards andre

#4 2001-08-18 18:33:04

Hi Violet,

I am a papier mache artist and have had no problem with outdoor papier mache.  If u use an armature of a non-porous material (plastic, chickenwire) and cover intially with strips of newspaper with plenty of PVA glue, then cover with paper pulp (again with plenty of PVA glue). Finally when project is completely dry, again paint over with a good covering of undiluted PVA.

I buy trade quality PVA from the builders' merchants - children's PVA will not do!

I have had sculptures in the garden for several years with no signs of deterioration.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Jak

#5 2001-08-31 13:42:11

andre -  will your papercastle be the largest papier mache construction when completed?

#6 2001-10-24 21:41:38

Andre,  Thanks for the information on Pretex.  Went to both web sites you suggested.  E-mailed www.pretex.com with a request to send back infor to order.  No response as yet.  The other one you suggested, www.pretex.n1 doesn't seem to be associated with the varnish material you suggested.  Can you respond back with me.  Anxious to get started with this product.

Charles

#7 2001-11-05 00:05:37

Hi:
       Could someone direct me to a book or website about the durabilry ofpapier-mache.  How long could papier-mache be expected to last indoors.  Would acid free paper be best to be used as a final layer?  What about glue?  Thanks  Violet

#8 2001-12-03 00:23:02

can i cover foam with paper mache to make rocks do i mix glue with mache and go over it to. what is pva glue,is it like dextrin.  can you give me some fromulas outdoor paper mache....thanks

#9 2001-12-06 18:44:15

Hello Bill,
Have sculpted with styrofoam for about 10 years and am currently applying papermache pulp over the styrofoam. 
1. mix PVA glue with pulp or appy to strips.  PVA glue is a water proof wood glue that you can buy at hardware and construction supply stores.  I use Titebond 2.  It is off white and will accomplish what you are looking for.  The product Pretex which I have been unable to get so far, may be a step up from Titebond, but getting it has been slow.  Apply at least three coats of PVA glue to the dried paper mache, and then you can apply what ever exterior color coating you desire.  I have used either polyurathane or exterior latex paint...not at the same time.  Hope your project goes well.  Let me know if you discover something else that works. 
Regards,  Charles

Board footer