Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » paper shrinkage, model boat building

paper shrinkage, model boat building

#1 2005-12-07 17:47:32

Laughing Mozzie

paper shrinkage, model boat building

I have received several emails off forum, thank you. I continue to learn and try your suggestions.

On a recent try in making a PM  model boat hull over a wooden plug (male mold) I tried using much smaller strips of papers. I had been using 2 to 3 inch wide strips of news paper. This time I used 1/2 to 1 inch wide strips.

I have not been able to locate a local source for tapioca flour so I am still using pre-mixed wallpaper paste.

I lay up three layers; brush on paste, lay on paper, brush on paste. Then I let it dry for a couple of days in front of a hot air register. three or four times  I repeat the layering. Each set of layers is allowed to dry a couple of days before adding another three layers of paper. When I remove the papermachie from the plug the paper has shrunk back from the edge about a 1/8 inch. The shape of themodel hull is intact but the "sheer", top edge is lower than desired.

I'm wondering if I switched to 20# bond paper from my office shredder, which is about 1/4 inch wide and 11 long, if that would help reduce the shrinking. Or am I not allowing long enough drying times between layers? The shrinkage is a lot better since I followed the advice about not over wetting the paper.

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » paper shrinkage, model boat building

Board footer