Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

A more practical use for paper pulp

#1 2017-01-10 15:47:06

Patraw
Website

A more practical use for paper pulp

I was researching those do-it-yourself tea light candles & ceramic planters heating things when I stumbled across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cnruhJbRnU

It's a fairly long video, so, if you don't want to watch it, the guy made paper pulp logs to burn in his wood stove out of nothing but old newspapers and junk mail.  It's not art, but, if you have a wood stove (or just like to have campfires) and extra time on your hands, it's an attractive way to save some money on wood and do some recycling to boot.  It's also something to do with any extra paper pulp you may have lying around after a project too (give/sell your pulp logs to somebody else that does have a wood stove or something maybe?)

#2 2017-01-10 18:49:23

CatPerson

Re: A more practical use for paper pulp

I've heard of that, but never tried it.  I'm sure it helps if you have a warm, dry climate, too.  I live in a cool, humid climate, and it would probably take a year for them to dry, if ever.

#3 2017-01-10 22:04:34

Patraw
Website

I believe he said it takes a week or two for them to dry completely, but, yeah, obviously, one's environment would have an influence on that as well.

#4 2017-01-10 22:55:47

CatPerson

If someone was interested, there is a compressing tool that will compact the paper into a brick form.  Here's one, but there are others, also: https://www.lehmans.com/product/newspap … AjMr8P8HAQ

#5 2017-03-16 07:36:25

james1626

Shaping the paper pulp is one important art that needs control of the hands.

If you are a beginner and aiming for some great masterpiece then you need several hours of practice for that.

I would suggest start with some basic shapes and try to perfect with.

You can also use stencils as a base to give a proper shape to your product and then keep giving it mass and shape by applying some more paper pulp over it.

By using stencils you will be able to judge how you can add some more details and making it more perfect.

Board footer