Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Matte varnish too glossy

#1 2015-10-20 13:39:45

Squeaker

Matte varnish too glossy

Hey there! Has anyone used a matte sealer/varnish that is actually matte? The ones I've used give off a surprising amount of shine, which is very frustrating as I'm trying to achieve a realistic, somewhat dull animal fur.

#2 2015-10-20 18:47:59

CatPerson

Re: Matte varnish too glossy

I don't know of any truly matte finishes.

The only ways I can think of to make them matte is to either lightly sand them after the last coat, or dust them lightly with talc or powdered chalk (calcium carbonate) when they're still damp. And the last could be rather tricky -- try it on something that's not important, first.

#3 2015-10-22 16:24:51

Squeaker

Thanks, I'll give the sanding a try and if that doesn't work I'll try the chalk. But it'll be going over acrylic paint so I'm  thinking the chalk will affect the color.

#4 2015-10-22 20:38:40

CatPerson

Test a sample first on something that doesn't matter.

Sue

#5 2017-02-21 17:57:04

Autumn

I realize that this is a super old post but if anyone is still facing this issue, I recommend matte varnish in a spray can because you can't get a paint on varnish that isn't glossy. The spray works fast and gives a nice even coat, the only downside is that it's easy to overdo it and it can look dusty when that happens, although this could be a happy accident for some artists. You can get it at hardware shops, I think Walmart has carried it in the past and Michael's Arts and Crafts definitely does (I'm Canadian, I can't speak for overseas suppliers).

#6 2017-02-21 18:55:34

CatPerson

Autumn, thank you for posting. Late information is better than no information, so if you know the solution to a posted problem, please post, even if it's a very old post (even ten years!). If something is a problem for one person posting here, it's likely to be a problem for many others who check out these forums and don't post.

I, too have just recently tried the matte varnish. I was speaking to the clerk in the hardware store, and he cautioned me to shake the can really well, longer than you normally would for spray paint.  He said that the stuff that makes it matte settles in the bottom of the can, and for the best effect, it needs to be completely mixed.

He said this fact especially applies to the newer glow-in-the-dark phosphorescent paints, both the spray and the liquid. He suggested mixing them at least three times as long as other paints. If you don't get the glow effect, you didn't mix long enough.

Good luck!

Sue

#7 2018-03-06 18:22:35

CatPerson

Thank you for that tip -- I'll have to try it!

Sue

Board footer