Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

heat proof Paper mache?

#1 2015-01-27 20:41:28

Ananya

heat proof Paper mache?

dear all

I want to make a lampshade out of paper mache.does any one know how to make such lamp shade heat proof? do I need to make it heat proof or PM is already heat proof?
I am a beginner.. please help

warm
regards

Last edited by Ananya (2015-01-27 20:43:16)

#2 2015-01-28 01:29:03

CatPerson

Re: heat proof Paper mache?

Paper burns at 451ºF (233ºC), just so you know your limitations.  Paper will catch fire faster than papier mache, but when it gets hot enough, it will burn.

I can't find anything specific, but it appears that the surface temperature of a 100-watt incandescent light bulb is 'around' 433ºF (223ºC), which is getting a bit too close to the required temperature for a fire.  At this moment, I have a small paper cone sitting directly on top of a 100-watt incandescent bulb, and after several minutes, the spots where the paper touches the bulb is turning brown.  I WOULD CONSIDER THIS A DANGER SIGNAL.

HOWEVER, that is direct contact.  If you could prevent the paper of the lampshade from TOUCHING the bulb with a wire frame, and provided a place at the TOP for heat to escape, you should be safe.  People have made paper lampshade for many years, and they are available to buy even today.

Just don't forget the two ABSOLUTE RULES:
1. The paper must not touch the bulb.
2. Excess heat should have free access to go out the top of the shade (heat rises) -- do not confine the heat.

Sue

#3 2015-02-11 08:44:00

mavigogun

As Sue suggests, the danger of heating is about dissipation, not just source temperature.   That said, consider much lower wattage bulbs- or, better yet, LED's: MUCH lower energy (read: heat).   I wonder at the wisdom of using wire as part of the shade frame; the wire presents a nice heat sink, and mache, insulator.

There's a fine book on the topic by Helen Hiebert, "Paper Illuminated", covering fire considerations and UL listing of parts- you can get it, dirt cheep, here:

http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Illuminated … aper+lamps

#4 2015-02-11 20:16:27

CatPerson

I don't think the wire is much of a danger.

None of my lamps have a wire that touches the bulb, and the heat moving along a relatively narrow wire isn't going to get much of a chance to build up due to the heat dissipation at it moves through much-cooler air.

My lamp has been on for an hour, and I just felt the wire harp and shade support: it is just slightly warmer than my hand.

Sue

Board footer