Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Star Wars toy papier mache repair

#1 2013-08-12 15:52:04

Patraw
Website

Star Wars toy papier mache repair

Here are some photos of a papier mache repair job I did on a secondhand 3-3/4" " Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron Nrin Vakil figure that I purchased from a thrift store Friday afternoon (scroll down past all the doll photos to the alien in the orange flight suit):

www.angelfire.com/ult/ace/toy_talk_081213.html

#2 2013-08-12 18:06:18

CatPerson

Re: Star Wars toy papier mache repair

I think you did a great job!  Maybe a museum art inspector would find fault, but surely no one else would.  How tall is that creature? 

And the matching of paint to something existing is near impossible, unless you can find something mixable that will dry in the same shade as it was when wet, and I don't think such a thing exists.  If anyone questions it, just say their land buggies have right-side steering and they're always hanging that hand out the window, that's why it's more "tanned".  ;-)

I can do the larger stuff all right, but the tiny stuff like small dolls is beyond my patience and skill set.  Looking at Jackie's doll house dolls, my first thought was 'I couldn't do that'.  Actually, the word 'patience' and 'Sue' aren't usually used in the same sentence...

Sue

#3 2013-08-15 15:53:08

Patraw
Website

The Star Wars alien is roughly 3-3/4 inches tall.  To get a sense of scale, look at the first photo and compare him to the Liv doll, which is about 11-1/2 inches tall.

Yeah, matching paint is tricky.  What I usually do is have all the component colors laid out in front of me, and then I mix and match a little here and there on my brush until I get something close.  Paint sometimes looks different when its dry though, so, even if it looks perfect when its wet, sometimes you find you were off the mark later.  I think I came pretty close on the orange, but that brown skin thwarted me (the toy's skin coloration is actually a mustard yellow dry-brushed onto reddish-brown plastic).

I have very little patience and my hands have a tendency to shake when I do fine work (my biochemistry lab partner in college nicknamed me "Whiskey Fingers"), and I still manage to do all right painting tiny stuff.

#4 2013-08-19 23:48:29

skwirl

Wow! Great job!

Board footer