Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Happy Christmas Ornament Time

#1 2012-12-09 20:25:49

rozani
Website

Happy Christmas Ornament Time

Hi Everyone!

Tis the season to make ready.
Falalalalalalalala
Keep the sculpting nice and steady.
Falalalalalalalala
Grab the paper, start the crinklin.
Falalalalala la la la
Gets my mind to do some thinking.
Fala..............

.........Well.  I'm sure you get the idea.  A Christmas idea,that is.  Temps here in East LA (Lower Alabama USA) are muggy and I’m trying to awaken the holiday spirit in me.  It’s a perfect time to deck the halls with maché balls.  Ornaments, to be specific.  My first work in progress has a Green Man theme.  That will set the pace and get the ball rolling.  Or, as in this case, hanging on a Christmas tree.

Starting with ye olde crumpled ball of paper, things are beginning to take shape.  My goal is to make a face with a leaf mask.  That means layering on top of the main shape with simple facial features and, of course, a mask.  The pieces are beginning to take shape and are drying at the moment  I’ll keep you posted of my progress.

I'm hoping Ole Man Winter will remember to come my way so that the season will really feel more traditional.  What’s on tap for everyone else?

Happy Cristmas and a joyful holiday season one and all!

Rozani

#2 2012-12-12 23:34:40

artmeme777

Re: Happy Christmas Ornament Time

Hey Rozani- that sounds really cool- I think I can picture it. Maybe you can share pics when you're done!

I'm not especially in the Christmas spirit this year, probably because I'm more interested in making new things than putting up a tree! I've been putting finishing touches on decorative things and gift wrapping things for customers, but that's not doing it, lol! Maybe if I had started some ornaments back in September, I'd be into it.

We had some good Spring-like drying and outdoor picture taking days here in metro Atlanta last week, but now it's cold again, so projects are moving forward inside. I'm working on bowls, vases, trays, and figurines to debut in January. I'm looking forward to that! (oh, and stopping to enjoy some time with loved ones)

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy New Year, all. yikes)
-Renée

#3 2012-12-13 17:25:00

Jackie
Website

<<<Rozani... "Temps here in East LA (Lower Alabama USA) are muggy.">>>

I wish we all had your temperatures for drying our mache! I always remember you saying Rozani how you got started in papier mache......fiddling with a serviette wasn't it in a cafe?

Seasons Greetings to you and everyone else.

Jackie

#4 2012-12-13 18:54:14

CatPerson

Jackie, there's a saying:  "Be careful what you wish for, you may get it".

I don't think that southern Alabama ever dries out, or anything in it.  The humidity ranges from 55% in winter ("winter" is just a general term) to 110% in summer. 

Rozani probably has to bury her pieces in silica gel to dry them enough to add another layer.

Sue

#5 2012-12-13 21:22:14

Jackie
Website

May......be......I will forget about that wish, then!

Jackie

#6 2012-12-14 06:50:06

paper soup

Yes winter here in South Texas is much the same. We finally got a short cold snap
(50s F) but up until then it was so muggy that every morning it rained UNDER the trees. Drying down here takes some effort.

Board footer