Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

HELP - a little advice needed

#1 2002-02-20 05:12:25

HELP - a little advice needed

Hi there!

I have a lizard as a pet and I want to make a 13x4 inch papier mache log that resembles wood, so that I do not have to go to the park and pick one up every month or so.

Now, I wanted your advice as to the convenience of using papier mache. The thing is that the log I want to make has to be 100% non toxic and water proof since the lizard keeps coming in and out of water.

Do you think it is a good idea to use papier mache??? Will it resist anything?  If so, should I cover up the log with anything special?

Thanks!
Facundo.

#2 2002-02-20 20:24:33

Re: HELP - a little advice needed

Ummmmm
To the best of my knowledge, the inks used in newsprint these days are non toxic, however the protective coating may not be, I think that you should check for paints and finishes that are available for childrens toys etc.
As for 100% waterproofing, I doubt that that could ever be guaranteed, I use my birdhouses outside year round, But they are hanging and do NOT sit in water, also as the waterproofing is  is their protective coating, should this get damaged then the papier mache that is exposed will soak up moisture like blotting paper.
I personallly think that the trip to the park would be the better solution..........Of course I may be wrong in this and would welome any reports to the contrary.
Terry

#3 2002-02-21 02:01:28

Thanks so much for the advice Terry! Gonna be specially carefully when choosing coats

The thing is that the papier mache log would be a first try before I do nicer things for the lizard. I just can't get logs or "hiding places" or stuff like that on exact sizes that will fit into the vivarium , and removing dozens of branches, logs, etc until you find one is an unpleasant experience.

I think that if I have time this weekend I'm gonna give it a try at the papier mache and then tell you how it turns out.

bye!

#4 2002-02-21 08:43:44

Ok, good luck with your project, as far as waterproofing is concerned the addition of boiled linseed oil, available from your paint store would greatly help with this, HOWEVER, I do NOT know of its toxidity so I am uneasy about suggesting it.
I do hope that everything works out fine for you. Please keep in touch and updated, and if I can offer any more help, please contact me
Terry

#5 2002-03-01 00:49:21

Concerning toxicity of linseed oil.
I don't know about other parts of the world, but in the USA almost everything has a label wityh warnings.

Most linseed oil has dire warnings.
But there are totally safe linseed oils available at art and craft
stores. They are in the oil paints section.
Bonnie

#6 2002-03-01 16:56:24

My daughter has to make apapier mache bowl for a shool project.  when she tried it took ages to dry and dropped to pieces when she tried to peel it away from the bowl. Now she only has the weekend to complete the project. Please help.

#7 2002-03-02 02:59:45

Facundo: You really should look into ceramics or polymer clay for that kind of project. You can still make it to your size specifications, and won't have to worry about waterproofing it...
good luck. Lizards are fascinating. I used to have many myself.

#8 2002-03-02 16:45:42

Thanks Steve, I know that ceramics or clay are probably a lot more apporpriate for my needs.

It's just that I never do any of this manual stuff. I have no experience with anything alike and I am afraid that ceramics or clay may be difficult for me. That's why I turned to papier mache, which seeeemmms to be easier and more fun.

Too bad I haven't found courage to give it a shot last weekend and this one I am in my room with flu.  Still wouldn't hurt to check out ceramics or clay sites.. Do you know of good HOW-TO for BEGINNERS sites?

Thanks a lot.

Board footer