Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Newbie Papier Macher in need of help for big project!

Newbie Papier Macher in need of help for big project!

#1 2010-03-11 03:32:30

Gilgamesh

Newbie Papier Macher in need of help for big project!

Hello!  I have a big project to complete over the summer and I'm thinking papier mache is going to be the way to go.  The only problem is how!  A little background to the project...

In my city (Minneapolis, MN) there is are three 5k Fun Runs in the fall, all of which are costume themed.  Last year my buddy and I took first place in all three.  This year we need to go over the top to win again.  The idea we have is based from the Indiana Jones movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark.  The idea would be my friend would dress up as Indiana and I would be the huge boulder chasing him (one of the great moments in that movie).

I'm picturing a running boulder with legs and arms (needs to be funny).  The boulder part would be from the waist up.  The thing is, it needs to be really big.  I'm thinking it has to be at least 10 ft (3 meters) in diameter.  It needs to be light (must run 5k in this thing), and water resistant (has rained in the past).  I'm thinking to mount it on my body with a scuba harness or something.

My question is how to make a realistic 3 meter boulder out of papier mache.  I don't know if this is the way to go, but I was thinking making the frame out of pvc pipe and chicken wire.  Might get heavy though.

Any ideas, thoughts, comments would be great!

Thank you much!

#2 2010-03-11 14:59:36

dopapier

Re: Newbie Papier Macher in need of help for big project!

I think you may well have a possibility.  You will need engineering ability (or thinking) but I guess if you get into projects like this you probably are resourceful.
You may get a number of suggestions from users of this site but here is my pennyworth.
Collect a good quantity of corrugated card.  If it is in firm boxes, you may not have to do much extra construction.  If not, make up boxed elements that can be taped together.  These do not have to be regular shapes.

Leave a central space for your body and any viewing slot.  Yes, perhaps a strap harness to go over your shoulders.  Build them until you have the general shape you want.   It shouldn't be too heavy for a strong guy like you!?

Finally, rather than chicken wire, I would suggest cardboard sections to replicate the facets of a boulder - sandstone rather than granite.  Dribble PVA along the edge of the card, leaving one or two gaps.  Put hot glue into the gaps and quickly press the cardboard in place.  It will hold immediately and the joint will become very strong as the PVA dries.

Once this is done, you can laminate kraft paper all over, using PVA.  Then read Jackie's article about waterproofing (or one of the threads that touches on this).

Please let us know how you get on.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#3 2010-03-11 22:59:05

CatPerson

I'll bet you five bucks you wouldn't be able to run very far in a 10-foot anything.  It isn't a matter of weight so much as balance and gravity -- whatever the weight, most of it is going to be over your head.  Imagine trying to WALK while wearing a box the size of a bathroom.  Got much wind there?

It would be easier to make a six-foot cardboard rock with a metal plate inside that has a loop protruding enough to tie a cord to, and tie the other end to the back of Indy's belt.  As he runs, it would 'chase' him down the street.

You could also dress as Jones, but with a large jointed python chasing you...

Sue

#4 2010-03-15 22:48:59

newmodeller
Website

I really don't think PM is the way to go with this, you need  a costume that will breathe, pm is water absorbent and you are going to sweat, you have no guarantee of a dry day for the run.  Cat person is right that you will have a weighty costume no matter how hard you try.

I would suggest that you head for your nearest theatre / fancy dress costumier and weigh some of the costumes, think about running 5 k in them and decide if you can cope.  There may be some scope for a paper armature, if you created a set of rolled paper rods (like cigars of newssheets) that you make into the frame of a globe, this could then be laminated into a fairly rigid structure.  cover it with a thin foam sheet and then pva jersey material to it, finally paint with acrylic to get the rock finish. 

I have no idea if this would work but it is how I would go about trying to create the rock.  I also have know Idea how to fix it to your shoulders as you are running.

Last edited by newmodeller (2010-03-17 19:04:50)

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#5 2010-03-16 20:02:40

Gilgamesh

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and ideas!  I know I'm crazy for attempting this.  But, if there is a will there is a way!  Right?  I'll keep everyone's ideas in mind as I start building this thing. 

Thanks again!

#6 2010-03-17 03:44:26

CatPerson

We would certainly love to see the results!

And the best of luck, too!

Sue

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Newbie Papier Macher in need of help for big project!

Board footer