Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Book Shelf

#1 2009-10-21 09:38:45

payal

Book Shelf

Hi all,

To help my daughter get organized ,I am planning to make a three shelf book case by  joining three cardboard boxes one on top of the other, then layering with PM. I would really appreciate some tips on this............any other ideas on how to go about it are most welcome

#2 2009-10-21 18:24:07

newmodeller
Website

Re: Book Shelf

I would be very careful to batten the boxes first, although PM is very strong just think about how books bow a wooden bookshelf with their weight.

Plan your design carefully and then think about where the weight will be, even though booksellers use cardboard boxes for packing the boxes are never suspended above one another with a gap when they are stacked.  Even a small set of paperbacks is heavy (trust me on this I worked in the booktrade for many years and have carried more stacks of books than I care to remember).

Look at cross bracing the back of the three boxes and putting I bar joists in to support the shelf.  Alternatively put a central divider with an I bar shape in the middle of each box,  make sure the top and bottom of the I is under and supporrting each part of the shelf above and below to spread the stress of the weight evenly.

Think about lintels in doors to give you an idea of what you may need to do.  Then PM away.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#3 2009-10-22 07:42:07

payal

Thanks Newmodeller,

You just read my mind i had the same doubt but did'nt know how to overcome this weight problem .........i think the I bar should work. Not sure how the cross braces will prove helpful. If i am not asking for too much......can you advice me , what can be used for I bar and cross braces.
Thanks a lot for your advice.

Payal

Last edited by payal (2009-10-22 07:48:56)

#4 2009-10-22 17:52:34

dopapier

Use just cardboard.  Another way is to make a box section, rectangular, with the narrow side up.  If you have strong corrugated card, this can take a surprising amount of weight.  It's probably best to test it first.  Make up one shelf, support it on two chairs (or something) and pile on the books.
Another method might be to make a solid arch, with enough layers of cardboard to reach from front to back of the shelf.
Join edges of card by dribbling PVA along most of the length, leaving just a few gaps.  Drop hot glue into the gaps and press it together (very quickly).  The hot glue will hold it in place, while the PVA slowly dries very firmly.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#5 2009-10-22 21:21:14

CatPerson

If you use cardboard as bracing, the corrugations must be running in the same direction as the stress.  For shelves, the stress would come from the top, so the corrugations must be vertical.

Over time, many things like this will eventually give way under constant stress.  I had a cheap pressed-wood bookshelf that was just supported at the ends, and with the weight of the books, the center sagged a bit and the ends pulled loose.

Sue

#6 2009-10-23 10:46:30

goliner

Yep good idea but i dont entertain or else guarantee you to build your book shelf with the card board...it is not reliable...so better make it with wood which will last for quite long

#7 2009-10-24 08:37:16

payal

Thanx guys for all the valuable suggestions. Maybe be PM bookshelf is not such a good idea but I don't mind giving it a try using all the good tips I have.Hope it turns out a success........!

#8 2009-10-26 09:05:00

payal

Was searching the net for more info on cardboard furniture came across many links but this one worked for me.........
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=293410.0

this might be of some help for others also.

Payal

#9 2009-11-11 15:10:21

Pelletor
Website

I'm a big fan of the "Instructables" site and found a cardboard furniture How To that may be useful to you.

See it here:  http://www.instructables.com/id/Cardboa … groceries/

Board footer