Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Help please on an unusual project

#1 2009-06-16 06:41:17

Phantomvi

Help please on an unusual project

I have built a home from concrete that is shaped like a dome.  I would like to insulate the very rough inside of the concrete with Papier Mache! 

I want to use cellulose insulation that is already shredded and so I am looking for the best way to make it stick to the ceiling in particular.  I will probably mix large batches in a flat bottom wheel barrow. 

I am imagining that I would use a trowel to apply it to the walls and a rough finish is fine.  I can imagine an extra step to apply a finer finish later. 

I decided a thousand brains are better than one.  Thanks for your help in advance!

Thomas

#2 2009-06-16 18:17:20

Jackie
Website

Re: Help please on an unusual project

My, that is an undertaking! Would love to hear more about it.

Jackie

#3 2009-06-18 06:01:46

CatPerson

I am thinking the best way to do it, and get it thick enough to be useful, would be to use a concrete sprayer (often known as 'shotcrete').

Here is some info on the process (for concrete):  http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inve … rete-walls

But, since I have never heard of it being done with papier mache, I suspect you would have to buy your own spraying machine, unless you found someone who was interested enough to loan you his machine, with possibly unpredictable (and damaging) results.

If I were you, I would mix up a batch of papier mache, and attempt to stick it to concrete manually.  It may not work, or you may have to experiment with different types of adhesives.

I, too, would love to hear what you come up with!

Sue

#4 2009-06-18 17:14:44

Jackie
Website

Have you thought about making small "bricks" from papier mache pulp - as sometimes used for burning in firegrates? When dry, the bricks could be glued in place and then the whole lot rendered possibly?

Jackie

#5 2009-07-31 22:24:50

penpalgal

There is a yahoo group devoted to all kinds of uses of "papercrete", which is what I think might be of most benefit to you.  There is TONS of information on how use this mixture for building blocks to sprayed on insulation

HTH

#6 2009-08-05 17:33:28

Pelletor
Website

My 1st post at this remarkable site ( been lurking for a while as I begin my 1st Papier Mache project ) but find this project interesting. 

I would suggest nailing thin wooden strapping to the ceiling  it will conform to the curve of the dome if it is sufficiently shallow.  Then attach chicken wire as a foundation to which the Papier Mache or other types of insulation can be attached.

I have a question about the insulating value ( "R" rating) of Papier Mache and how does it compare with traditional  methods or the newer green solutions?

I have used blown in highly shredded paper coated with borax in walls of my former home in New England that worked very well.  But if it got wet it would have needed to be replaced because all the air spaces in the highly shredded and fluffy paper would have been lost as it was compacted with water.

Just my $.02

Bob C.

Last edited by Pelletor (2009-08-06 14:00:35)

#7 2009-08-07 09:51:45

dopapier

If you have any level of humidity, you might be in trouble because papier mache is very hygroscopic unless thoroughtly sealed.   Also laying it in any thickness in one go will take aeons to dry.
To stick to the ceiling, I would guess that a wash over a limited area with PVA before trowelling a thin coat of PM onto it, ought to hold well.   When that is dry you could trowel another thin coat, and so build it up to the level you want.
I love DIY projects.  Well done.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

Board footer