Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Flexible/Durable papier mache?

#1 2009-04-14 18:36:14

Emerald_Ace

Flexible/Durable papier mache?

Hi everyone,
I am a burlesque performer and quite into crafting and I want to make some large hollow horns/antlers as part of a costume for one of my acts. The would be have to be tall and lightweight and would be sewn or hot glued into the base of a wig which would then be high piled around them for extra support.
Kind of a little like this although pointed a little more upwards and with the hair more up and around the antlers with rats for extra support.
http://static.zooomr.com/images/6323464 … 1091_o.jpg

As they are for a costume they need to not tear or crack. I was wondering if there is any smart way to do this. I did wonder about using strips of calico instead of newspaper... does anyone know, would this increase the durability of the items? Also is there any other method that might be more suitable for what I am trying to do before I press on with this idea?

Thanks to anyone who has any ideas!

#2 2009-04-15 19:28:47

CatPerson

Re: Flexible/Durable papier mache?

I would say that fabric mache would probably be able to tolerate a little more abuse than paper.  Also, fabric horns could be sewn to the wig base -- thread or string through paper just can't take much stress, as it will tear right through it.

I would make the horns about an inch (25mm) longer at the base than you want the finished size, and when thoroughly dry, cut/notch that extra length and fold it outward so you can hand-stitch it to the wig base.  If the extra bit is too much, you could either trim it or fold it for extra strength.

Be sure to give the horns a few coatings of a sealer (inside and outside), especially at the bottom, where perspiration would be apt to soak into it.  Be certain that it's completely dry before you seal it, or it will mold.

As for the adhesive, I would use a synthetic, such as white craft glue (PVA type), diluted about half/half with water.  Organic adhesives (flour/methyl cellulose) are more susceptible to moisture damage.  Mind you, PVA isn't waterPROOF, but it is more water-RESISTANT.  And it shouldn't conflict with either real varnish or the polyurethane sealers.

I would dearly love to see what you come up with, wig and all!

Sue

#3 2009-05-06 15:21:52

dopapier

Do you know how you are going to mold the shape of these horns?  It isn't easy.   From my experience I would suggest the following -
Take a flexible tube slightly longer than the horn.  Push a wire through it, strong enough to bend and hold its shape.  Wrap plasticene round the tube in increasing layers until you have the thickness you want.   Sculpt and smooth it into shape.
Wrap foil around it, held with masking tape - this is to provide a clean release.
Laminate with paper and paste to at least six layers.  When fully dry, cut down the middle and release from the form.
Join the two halves - hot glue is probably best.  Then add your cloth layer and a couple more layers of paper.  This should be strong and very light.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#4 2009-05-25 06:11:22

lovely09

I just wanna share this,when i was in high school i joined a contest and things to be used should be recycled.We make a dress out of paper in a wire as a support then other stuffs using the paper just making it a little bit thick to be strong.

Board footer