Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Immersion blender for making paper pulp

Immersion blender for making paper pulp

#1 2009-03-14 16:43:59

butterbee

Immersion blender for making paper pulp

I just wanted to pass on the tip that immersion blenders are awesome for breaking down paper to make pulp out of. I decided to go with it instead of a regular blender because you aren't limited to the cup size of the blender and they can be usually found for a lot cheaper than most blenders. I picked up a brand new one for just $10 yesterday.

#2 2009-03-14 18:03:37

CatPerson

Re: Immersion blender for making paper pulp

If it's one of those small ones like for mixing drinks, be sure to have a lot of water in the container with the paper.  Too much drag on that little motor will burn it out.

Sue

#3 2009-03-15 08:28:50

Alasdair
Website

Hmmm, I've got one of them ... never occurred to me to use it for making mache - it's usually reserved for soup.  I'm due to make a new batch too (mache, not soup!) so I might give it a bash smile

#4 2009-03-15 11:30:27

newmodeller
Website

I have lost count of the kitchen appliances I have re-employed as papier mache tools, Tim (hubby) has despaired of anything in the house being used for it's manuafactured purpose.   I have even managed to co opt stuff for my other hobbies, we are minus a kitchen blind and rolling pin (felting) blenders and liquidizers (papier mache) net curtains and old picture frames (paper making).

Nothing is safe from the born again crafter!

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#5 2009-03-15 12:41:51

butterbee

Don't worry Sue! I always make sure I make a kind of paper-mache smoothie out of it. (*laughs*)

#6 2009-03-15 23:07:20

CatPerson

Just be sure to keep them separate.  I know from experience that having a mug of tea and a cup of water for rinsing my watercolor brushes DO NOT MIX.  And the tea tastes horrible after I've rinsed my brush in it.

Sue

#7 2009-03-16 12:35:48

Alasdair
Website

Ah yes, the old "mug of tea next to pot of glue/paint/water squished from pulp trick", not a pleasant experience!  You'd think I'd learn!!

#8 2009-03-16 22:32:02

newmodeller
Website

Yes, but that goes along with remembering not to shut doors when using PM,  I have lost count of the number of times I have glued myself to the door handles!

www.pawtraits.co.uk

#9 2009-03-17 06:11:02

CatPerson

If we all contributed the silly things that have happened to us while working with papier mache, we could probably come up with a really slapstick comedy!

For instance:
Piece of used computer paper to sop up glue drips from container
+
Said sheet of paper inadvertently flipped onto floor, glue-side up
+
Belgian Tervuren dog noticing that I'm in the kitchen, possibly with food
+
Dog sitting down to show how well-mannered she is, possibly attracting a treat
=
Belgian Tervuren wandering off with sheet of paper attached to furry breeches, being followed by curious cat.

Sue

#10 2009-03-18 17:21:00

CatPerson

I've come to the conclusion that the tea cup needs to REALLY be at least six feet (2 m) away from the worktable.

Sue

#11 2009-03-18 22:50:28

Alasdair
Website

LOL

There must be a whole section of the arts and crafts community out there that has no idea what a decent cuppa tastes like!

Back on topic for a moment though ...

... employed the hand blender in the mass production of pulp for the first time today and WOW!, talk about being a time saver!  It probably allowed me to knock off about an hour of the time I normally just spend simmering and stirring the stuff, thanks for the tip smile

Of course, I'm still trying to get the thing clean ... I think I need to invest in a dedicated piece of kit, or rather a replacement one for the kitchen one, iyswim.

#12 2009-03-19 18:12:06

newmodeller
Website

Buy a new one for the kitchen,the moment you succumb to using it to blend any paper with a dye in it the thing will be marked for life.  Mine is still luminous green from tissue paper and black from the 'lovely' ingredients of newsprint

www.pawtraits.co.uk

#13 2009-03-19 23:31:34

butterbee

Alasdair: I am so glad I could be helpful! I was amazed and how fast it worked as well. I used it as an excuse to buy a new immersion blender so I have one just for art, and one just for food now. big_smile

#14 2009-03-20 01:37:05

CatPerson

When the one you're using now breaks, you could always go for this one at $319USD:   http://www.webstaurantstore.com/waring- … WSB55.html

No time soon for me!

Sue

#15 2009-03-21 19:24:13

Alasdair
Website

newmodeller wrote:

Buy a new one for the kitchen...

Done!  £4.19 from Tesco's!!

Sue, one day ... one day!  Although I do love cooking as much as I love PM, so that one will be strictly for the kitchen!

Last edited by Alasdair (2009-03-21 19:24:47)

#16 2009-03-22 15:33:27

butterbee

Alasdair: I wanted a blender so long to do papier-mache pulp but they were all out of my price range. That is why I loved the immersion blender idea so much because I couldn't believe how cheaply they could be gotten for!

It warms my little heart to know that they are cheap to get, even in Scotland!

#17 2009-04-05 09:28:26

seriouslycgi

i know i am unknown because i haven't posted or shown my work yet, but everything is a work in progress and experimental.

im working with hand ripped recycled egg cartons and water and mixed with an immersion blender (we call them stick blenders). i usually get the ones my wife wears out in the kitchen and i repair them and use them. so my costs are zero until i get further on in projects.

right now im experimenting with plasticine recipes with low cost materials to make my projects quicker and more detailed castings. <-another story

but ive been using a stick blender to mix the egg cartons with a lot of water (you can hear the pieces being sucked into it, i can make a huge batch in no time with little effort and no cost its awesome.

Last edited by seriouslycgi (2009-04-05 09:29:37)

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Immersion blender for making paper pulp

Board footer