Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Using Wine Bottles for Armatures...Question for the experienced....

Using Wine Bottles for Armatures...Question for the experienced....

#1 2007-08-08 14:52:51

trixyinaz

Using Wine Bottles for Armatures...Question for the experienced....

Okay, seriously do not laugh at this question.  I had been thinking this for a while but embarrassed to ask the question.  Then my friend asked the same thing.  So, if I make a piece using a wine bottle as my armature, I keep the bottle inside, correct? I mean, how would I get it out?   My thought was you have to keep the bottle inside b/c that is the whole beauty of papier mache - recycling to keep waste out of our landfills, right (and making beautiful art)?

Thanks!

#2 2007-08-09 10:35:20

dopapier

Re: Using Wine Bottles for Armatures...Question for the experienced....

Have a look at Diane Grey's gallery.  She does some lovely sculpture work and has some based on wine bottles.  She also has a (very inexpensive) tutorial available if you contact her.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#3 2007-08-09 12:07:30

EllenEggers
Website

i personally would leave the bottle inside and add pulp etc until it wasn't recognizable as a bottle.
like you have said, its way too hard to get the bottle out... and it adds a bit of weight to the piece for sturdiness
good luck on your adventure

#4 2007-08-09 12:16:49

trixyinaz

Thank you both so much for your replies.  I guess that settles it, the bottles stay in ;-).  Phew.  That would have been tough getting it out. LOL  I also like the sturdieness of it too.  As I do more, I hope I get better and faster.  I really don't mind seeing the shape of the bottle.  I think I just need to add/build up the tail and hind legs a bit more.  This is all so new to me so I'm learning with each new piece that I do.  Thanks for your tips!

#5 2007-08-14 16:24:54

newmodeller
Website

Ironically getting the bottle, and any other mould that you choose to use, out of papiermache is probably easier than in any other medium. 

I do this when making the sections of marionettes.
layer pm around the vaselined (petroleum jelly) mould until at least 10 layers are built up.  Allow to dry thoroughly and then carefully cut off the mould using a scalpel.  Glue back together the seperate pieces and then layer a couple more layers over the joins for strength, use for the base armature and add pulp etc as needed.

Like Ellen, I would leave the bottle in to give weight (and reduce landfill) but this is very useful if you have a mould you want to reuse.

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#6 2008-12-02 13:18:17

Folk Art By Connie
Website

I mostly leave the bottles inside for weight. but when i want to re-use a mold like a bottle. i cover it in Alumiumn foil and put strips of paper & glue  over that. when it feels strong enough to hold it's shape on its own, i just cut if off the frame  ( i'm making paper mache chairs right now from a wooden chair...to sit Santas in)..you can cover just about anything and cut it back off..bowling balls are nice if you want a huge ball, or left cut in half can become a bowl or a snowmans head to hang flat against a wall.., whatever you want...I agree with the post above mine..it's real easy to get the bottle out...

If you found me a stranger, may you soon be my friend...

• Index
  •  » General
  •  » Using Wine Bottles for Armatures...Question for the experienced....

Board footer