Your location: The Papier Mache ResourceForum

Forum

Note: The forum uses a separate login system to the galleries.

You are not logged in.

Options

Smoothing/sanding revisited

#1 2007-03-29 10:38:12

Lengo

Smoothing/sanding revisited

Iv'e looked through the forums about this, and have found differnt techniques. One says use pulp made from toilet paper to fill valleys. Another says use gesso. Still another says to use Celluclay.

I don't know about any of these, and I'm tired of spending and don't wanna buy Celluclay. However, I wanna know just how fine is this Celluclay stuff, and does it dry as hard as wallppaperpaste + PVA?

I've bought some instant paper mache from Dick Blick. This stuff is not fine at all. I've filled joins and sanded, only to find that sanding reveals air pockets. Ack! I have a real problem here!

I'm wondering if you can use just plain flour and water, mixed to make a thick paste. This should be softer than wallpaper paste and PVA (the glue I'm using), so it would be easy to remove from the high spots, and be left alone in the low spots when sanded. You could then coat everything with your glue mixture and sand some more. Will just plain water and flour stick? Will this work?

About using Gesso: I have never used this stuff, so I don't know how hard it dries or how thick it is. Is using this to fill valleys a good choice? does it dry softer than wallpaper paste + PVA?

All I really know is that I want a super smooth finish, just like on antique German doll faces which are made out of paper mache. These were made by hand and they are super smooth, so I know it can be done. And I know one other thing: I'm getting tired of sanding! What's the best (fastest) way to get this thing smooth?

Thanks!

If you see spelling errors, it's becaue my fingers are glued to my keyboard!

#2 2007-03-29 11:38:16

newmodeller
Website

Re: Smoothing/sanding revisited

Hi,

I know what you mean about buying in stuff.  It is possible to acheive a super smooth finish without resorting to expensive craft products.   Gesso is fantastic but can be expensive, it is essentially Rabbit skin size and ground chalk / bought gesso powder.  It dries to a hard finish and can be sanded down and wire woolled to give you a porcelain like surface.

I have found that the size and powder is very expensive so I did some experimenting.  The most successful combination that I came up with is 1 part water, 1 part pva beaten together with an egg whisk.  Then using a teaspoon add in plaster of paris, whisking as you go.  You need to get to a thick double cream consistency which can then be applied with a paint brush.  It is very messy, you need to work very quickly as the hardener in Plaster of Paris makes the mixture unworkable within 15 minutes. (only make up small amounts each time).  Once applied I leave it to cure for 24 hours and then start sanding down.  I use small files to get rid of ridges and then sand paper for smoothing, wire wool polishes up the final grooves.  Once this is painted and varnished it has a very nice finish and is very good for filling in holes and bringing regularity to the surface. 

Hardware stores usually sell bags of Plaster of Paris in 5 kg bags fairly cheaply, I am still only half way down mine and I have also used a lot to make a casting mould.

Alternatively the recipe David gave me for toilet paper pulp is quite good.

Tear up the toilet paper and soak in water (I usually stick in my hand held blender and wizz up to a pulpy soupy mess).  Squeeze out as much water as you can and then add wallpaper paste (and PVA if you want) and a small amount of ground chalk. Get the resulting pulp to the consistency you want (I like mine like a wet clay)  Once dry this is fine enough to sand down, to get a more porcelain finish to this I usually add one or two layers of tissue paper to the surface using a fair amount of paste to smooth is out.

Both these are cheap-ish ways of getting to a smooth surface.
Hope that helps,
Charlotte

www.pawtraits.co.uk
www.puppetsndolls.etsy.com
Papiermache.co.uk gallery: Charlotte Hills

#3 2007-03-29 19:21:49

Lengo

I may resort to one or more of those in the future, but the flour+water paste works GREAT for what I'm doing right now!  I'M A JEENIUS!  big_smile

This makes dough. It sticks very well. Just let it dry thoroughly (in about 10 minutes). Then sand. Since the dough is much softer than the wallpaper paste + PVA, it removes easily with sanding from the high spots but remains in the little cracks and crevaces.

Whn applying the dough, push it into the crack and draw it the same direction as the crack ONCE! Don't try to work it too much. One gives the best results. Then press it down to make sure that it sticks well. When dry, sand it.

Another thing I learned:  I'm sanding a balloon shaped object. To sand a rounded object like this, hold it a strong light and work where the light creates a shadow. You can then see the high spots.  Also, sand with circular motion with a very light pressure -- pressure like you're polishing, not grinding. DON'T try to speed this up!  DON'T DIG into your object. Let the sanding block do the work.

I filled a couple cracks before I went to bed last night. I sanded one after ten minutes, and wow! It went fast and was very easy to do. This morning I finished the other places I filled. I was done in under 10 minutes, and wow! It's really smooth!

So now I'll finish this smoothing using the dough, then cover with wallpaper paste + PVA to seal it. I can then start making details with modeling clay (his nose, mustache, and hair), pull them off and paper them, then attach the paper objects! I'll have to sand and smooth again, but most of the smoothing work is done.

THIS IS STARTING TO GET REALLY REALLY FUN!   big_smile  lol  smile  big_smile  lol

#4 2007-03-30 02:47:08

CatPerson

Don't bother with Celluclay for the effect you want, as it's rather lumpy.

The problem with flour/water is that it will absorb moisture from the air. You will have to seal it, and seal it well. But make sure it's very dry before you do.

Sue

#5 2007-03-30 04:18:57

Lengo

Not a problem. It dries very fast and a thick coat of wallpaper paste+ PVA, then Gesso, then paint, then sealer oughtta do it.

This works very well. I think the main thing is that small high spots sand away fast, while low spots (surrounded by high) takes longer to smooth.

I tried a number of experiments. In one place used a thinner paste. In another place really piled it on. Neither worked very well. The best approach is to use a doughy kind of paste (not too doughy, and not too pastey). You'll know when you have it right because it applies just right.

Mr. Balloon-Belly is nearly as smooth as a baby's butt right now. I have more to do yet on his body, and I discovered that an additional layer on his head is warranted. But what is done is very smooth, and I'm sure that Gesso will finish this off without any sanding, or perhaps just a little. At that point, it will as smooth as plastic on a model car! (this is very required for this guy's head and face).

I must admit I got a bit carried away too. Checking the work from various angles and in light from various angles, I spent a lot of time making his body as mathematically perfect as possible. I spent too much time. But I could see that sanding will allow such kind of shaping.

But the best I can say is this is easy, cheap, and quick. It could be quicker, but then everything could be when it comes to papier mache.

#6 2007-04-11 19:23:57

Dustintino

Guess Im the only Culluclay advocate! I love it, it works great. If you use the powder to water recipe they provide, yes it is lumpy and stupid. I just put it in a bowl and hit it with a whisk for a minute to work out all the lumps while its dry, then add water a little at a time and it works out fine. I suppose 5 bucks a pound is expensive, but it goes a long way.
Celluclay rocks! It beats making your own pulp, Im way too impatient for that, if an idea hits me I pretty much have to start it then or Ill forget it, so this is a product for the instant gratification driven artist.

#7 2007-04-11 21:51:05

Lengo

I was tempted to buy some Celluclay the other day, but I know that paperclay works (I saw lot of examples) so I bought the paperclay. Now that's really expensive at $5.80 for 8 oz!

The best homemade pulp I've made (still very lumpy), is cotton bond paper + ground chalk + wallpaper paste and PVA. It's very far from paperclay's smoothness. But you can build up with this pulp, let it dry, then smooth with the paperclay. It saves a LOT of sanding time and saves you money too.

At any rate, no more sanding and sanding and sanding and sanding! Ack! I hate that! Is soooooo boring.

#8 2008-03-12 12:11:51

burrumgirl

Hi Lengo, I have been searching the old forums to find out an easy way to smooth paper pulp, and came across this post with your flour and water solution.  I am interested to know how it has held up?  I too thought it may absorb moisture or go mouldy and was wondering if it made the piece heavy?  I am using newspaper pulp at the moment, which is very lumpy.  Any update would be great.  I will also try Charlotte's plaster mix, but I am again a bit worried that it might add too much weight to the piece.  Has anyone tried wood filler or anything like that?  Any help will be appreciated.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#9 2008-03-13 00:13:19

Moni

Sometimes I add a layer of small torn pieces of tissue paper to give me a smoother surface over the top of my pulp. It can really help smooth it out. Not perfect but it doesn't add any extra weight.....Moni

My cat is my best friend!

#10 2008-03-14 02:43:10

burrumgirl

Thanks Moni, I am trying that now and yes it does smooth it a bit.  I think I will save the newspaper mache for the core of the works and use a finer mache for the outside.  I am still testing other options though.

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#11 2008-03-15 01:24:43

CatPerson

Also, don't try to cover too much curved area at once. Pieces that are too large always wrinkle, and the wrinkles seem to multiply with the layers.

Keep them smaller, and you might try using triangle shapes. I have found that they don't wrinkle near as much as squares do.

Sue

#12 2008-03-17 06:07:27

burrumgirl

Thanks Sue, it is amazing that triangles are better than squares.  What a time saver this forum is.  Thanks to all

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#13 2008-11-06 16:15:39

ysmurthy

Need some help.  I am using paper mache pulp using toilet paper, chalk, PVA glue etc. and I am finding it is very lumpy to spread.    Am I doing something wrong? Appreciate a reply.  Murthy

#14 2008-11-06 19:09:10

CatPerson

It may be that it's too thick, so try adding some water, just a little at a time.  Generally speaking, PVA glue is diluted 50/50 with water for most PM use. Full-strength is best for adding parts to parts (attaching wings, feet, etc).

I've never added chalk to toilet paper pulp. Is there a specific reason that you've done so?  I am of the firm belief that you start any new method using the most basic of the materials. Then, when you hit a problem, you ask yourself if a specific additive would improve it. Add a small amount and then increase it gradually to see at what point the additive solves (or doesn't solve) the problem.

I find any type of pulp fairly lumpy.  It's the nature of paper fibers. Even a small amount of heavily diluted pulp (a spoonful in two cups/.5 l water) will tend to clump together, like drowning swimmers hanging onto each other).

Pressing the pulp firmly will help eliminate the water and smooth the pulp. Ah, but the gluey pulp sticks to everything, you say. You press it down and it lifts off.

One handy thing to have around is kitchen parchment paper (U.S.).  It is usually found at places that have cake decorating supplies (even WalMart has it in their craft/cake dec section). It is a paper that has been embedded with something that is highly water-resistant, maybe silicone or something. You can take a piece of this stuff and put it in a glass of water for three days, shake it off, and it's still not wet.  Tear off a piece of it and use it to press your pulp.

As David pointed out in another thread, let your project partially dry, then burnish it with the back of a metal spoon to smooth it.

If anyone else has tips on this common problem, please chime in.

Sue

#15 2008-11-06 20:12:17

ysmurthy

Thanak you sue for your help.  I got the information on chalk in this forum.  My other question is when you sand it do you use it by hand(it probably takes a long time) or use any sander?   Thanks.  Murthy

#16 2008-11-07 01:50:00

CatPerson

You sand it the way you think would be best for the thickness of the PM, how large the flat areas are, and by estimating the damage you could do if you used a sander.

I tend to do it mostly by hand, with a wooden block under the sandpaper (or attached to a regular sanding block -- I have a couple, but can never find them), or with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel or pencil, for inside curves.

You can use an electric sander or Dremel Mototool, but do it carefully. Use a fairly fine grit on a regular sander. And use a light touch.

People use all kinds of additives in PM. Some want to fill in tiny cracks and dents, so they add chalk to the glue, sometimes with the pulp, sometimes as a surfacing agent. Other people have used sawdust, plaster, water-based dry clay powder, linseed oil, oil of cloves, Hydrostone, ground oatmeal, methyl cellulose, gum arabic, dry tempera, acrylic paint, latex paint, watercolor paint, bleach, alum, cornstarch, glitter, pasta, dog food, and probably stuff that I've never heard of.

Some people go hog-wild with additives, but it makes more sense to me to know WHY you're using it.

Sue

#17 2008-11-07 13:12:13

dopapier

Yes, you can sand as much as you want, powered or hand but, as Sue says, judge what damage it can do.  You can always repair of course. 
For smaller work, a grinder tool in a miniature drill works well.  This actually seems to bind and smooth the surface, possibly from the friction and heat.  I have made tops for bamboo poles in the garden (as protectors for people's eyes) from corks covered in modelled pulp.  I burnished these (not with spoons, Sue) but with the power grinder.  The resultant surface is hard, very smooth and has already lasted two years outside.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#18 2008-11-07 17:34:13

CatPerson

Nice idea on the garden stakes, David!  Did you seal them with marine varnish or something else? 

Sue

#19 2008-11-09 16:16:03

dopapier

Not sealed at all, Sue.  Just a hard surface from the burnishing.  I think they were so hard the rain just ran off before it could do any real damage.  Probably some good varnish, or an impregnation of wax might improve their longevity.  (Thinks . . would it do anything for mine??)
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#20 2008-11-09 23:52:04

burrumgirl

Hi David and Sue, When you mention burnishing (above) it reminds me that when you burnish clay with a spoon, plastic bag or whatever it pushes the clay particles together and the burnished work will not take a glaze after that, it just runs off as your burnished papier pulp has with water.  Sounds unbelievable with paper but it is obviously a very effective way to waterproof pm. Just thought I'd throw this in.
Lesley

Last edited by burrumgirl (2008-11-09 23:53:10)

Jill of all Crafts
Master of None.

#21 2008-11-10 06:48:03

CatPerson

Well, Lesley, isn't that something to know!  Thank you very much!  It would never have occurred to me.  So, add color first, and then burnish.

Learning something new every day!

David, check with Madame Tussand's --- they must might have some answers for you.  ;-)

Sue

#22 2008-11-12 22:25:54

artistafemme

HI Everyone, Boy have I been working and struggling. I love the paper pulp, but everyone is right about the bumps.  I started by trying to sand.....and of course you all know how that went.  I got some good advise from David and Sue and I keep trying everything.  I am becoming so frustrated that my mind said....the heck with it leave the surface lumpy.  Well, I have accepted that for some sculpture, but for the ones with faces, I would love to have it at least semi smooth. By accident I had a fallen deriere on one of my Japanese women and added flour water paste to her, then I noticed that the flour water paste dried so much smoother than the pulp.  What I was wondering is how does it hold up.....I'm going to try it on an arm that didn't work on another project and see what happens.  I have mixed spackle with acrylic paint....doesn't do much. Tried Gesso with chalk....didn't work to great either....even bought a thick Gesso paste....but that has to dry for so long. Well, I am glad to see other PM'ers are trying to solve the smooth pulp idea.  If anyone has more advice....I'd love to here it.  Oh, PS>  my mermaid tail fell apart....so back to work again.
Thanks Jacquie

#23 2008-11-13 06:23:56

CatPerson

The flour/water paste is fine, as long as it doesn't crack when it is fully dried.  Just let it dry normally, don't try to rush it with heat.

That is the reason that I find pulp so frustrating.  I'd rather work with strips and pieces, myself.  Have you tried David's method of burnishing the surface with the back of a spoon when the PM is partially dry?

The only other suggestion I have is using the gesso (or others) in thin layers, letting each layer dry thoroughly, and adding another layer, building it up until it forms a smooth surface.

The main drawback to flour is that it will reabsorb moisture from the air if it isn't sealed.  Also, it might attract insects or mice. My dog doesn't live with you, so she shouldn't be a problem. 

Sue

#24 2008-11-13 15:17:17

dopapier

All this talk of gesso etc. . . . .

Personally I wouldn't use this in papier mache (being a bit of a purist), but by chance I found a really strong, smooth filler.

I had some spare slightly diluted PVA and needed to make up some wall filler.  I used that with some Polyfilla (US spackling I think) and it has proved to be incredibly strong, binding well and with no observable shrinkage.
DavidO

I'm a PM addict

#25 2008-11-14 17:33:28

CatPerson

David, you don't use gesso IN papier mache, or ON papier mache?

I've never even thought of using it in the PM, just on the outside to smooth the surface.  And it usually takes multiple layers.

Sue

Board footer